Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tick Tock

After watching the biggest fireworks display of 2010 (see below!) we walked for over an hour trying to find a metro train stop empty enough for us to get on the train in the forseeable future. We had passed by two and knew the next one was quite a distance away, so were relieved to finally find a nice, warm taxi to slip in to take us there. I glanced at the digital clock on the dashboard. It said, "1:11." (Can clocks say things and are quotes necessary? Not sure!)

Then it struck me. It was 1:11 on 1-1-11..................! As I stared at the clock the minute seemed to last forever, and because I was so focused it will stick in my mind for some time to come.

There are seasons in my life that I've wanted time to pass quickly so I could move on to something else. There have been other times that I want to hang onto like that one in a cozy taxi with my beloved family (and an Egyptian driver we'd never met before!) after a memorable night. Since Hannah has less than 6 months left of high school, I've been realizing how fast the minutes since she was born have gone. I want many more minutes with her to hang onto before she leaves home. As the clock is ticking, I want many moments of my life to be memorable. To be significant enough to count.

I want to look back at the end of my life and not just count the years----but the minutes that MATTERED.

"Always work enthusiasticaly for the L-rd, for you know that nothing you do for the L-rd is ever useless." ~I Cor. 15: 58

No comments: