Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cobwebs

"I am weary, O G-d;
I am weary and worn out, O G-d.
I am too stupid to be human,
and I lack common sense.
I have not mastered human wisdom,
nor do I know the Holy One."
Prov. 30:1-3 (NLT)

Do you ever feel like this? I do sometimes! Too often, really.

I have a weekly chore of cleaning the cobwebs out of our house. Yes, it's a weekly chore around here! No matter how clean I have it, by the end of the week sticky, grey strings and webs have moved into the corners and crevices with a coat of dust settled on top.

That's like our hearts, too. As clean as we may have them sometimes they can get cobwebs in the corners just by existing. It would be easier if life were lived in a vacuum. Where we could clean out our hearts, make everything right with the Father and then just cruise along. But that's not the way it is. Life happens! Things filter in and affect our hearts.

Too much busyness and not enough time with Him? Cobwebs. Little irritations, hurts, and resentments that don't seem significant on their own but add up? More sticky stringy stuff. Small choices to do what's easy over what we know is right? Dust settling in. Selfishness or even selflessness with wrong motives? It's getting crowded in the corners! Time to clean again.

When my heart is clean and cobweb free I never feel like the verses above!

No comments: