Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sheep and the Shepherd

We've had a really fun experience recently of hand raising an abandoned lamb. For lots of New Zealander's lambs are nothing new but for this partly American family it was an awful lot of fun--especially since she slept happily in the garage through the night so there were no night feeds involved!

Happy little lamb!  Five days old.
Steve thought 'Chops' or 'Mint Sauce' would be great name choices for her but Adam would have none of that!  A happy medium for our current house full of mostly males who love cars was "Lambaahgini" (emphasis on the 'baah'!) Lambaah for short.

We fed and enjoyed her for 2 1/2 weeks (she even went to Adam's soccer game once!) but then since at three weeks she really needed to start eating good grass, she went to live with friends who had more grass and also a little lamb who was getting lonely of their own.  But she still remembers us when we stop for a visit and runs to the gate baaaahhhing to see us.

Steve and I both have found ourselves thinking a lot about sheep and shepherds.  The absolute dependence of the sheep.  The devotion of the shepherd.

Lambaah and her shepherd (2.5 weeks old)
The Lord is my shepherd; 
 I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows; 
he leads me beside peaceful streams.

    He renews my strength.

He guides me along right paths,
 bringing honor to his name.

Even when I walk 
through the darkest valley, 
I will not be afraid, 
 for you are close beside me.

Your rod and your staff
 protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me 
in the presence of my enemies.

You honor me by anointing my head with oil. 
My cup overflows with blessings.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me 
all the days of my life, 
and I will live in the house of the Lord......

 ......forever.

                          ~Psalm 23 (NLT)


I am the good shepherd: I know my sheep and my sheep know me.  ~John 10:14

When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.  ~Matthew 9:36

If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them wanders away, what will he do? Won’t he leave the ninety-nine others on the hills and go out to search for the one that is lost?  ~Matthew 18:12
Once you were like sheep who wandered away. But now you have turned to your Shepherd, the Guardian of your souls.  ~1 Peter 2:25
Walking up the fence to see us when we visit (5 weeks old)
She still enjoys a cuddle!