Monday, August 12, 2013

What We Think

Words.

They're a powerful thing.  They are a tool used to 'steal, kill, and destroy' (John 10:10) or they they can uplift and heal.  The tongue can start a fire (James 3:5-6) or be a balm and bring joy to a hurting heart.

Jesus said in Matthew 5 that sin begins in the heart.  In our thoughts.  Who we are, what we will become, and how we will behave are directly in line with the way we think.  That's why it's so important to:
     Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.  ~Philippians 4:8
This concept translates into our thoughts in general as well and how they impact the way that we live.

I've been learning a lot about this lately.  Even though I've been a believer for a long-time there are still thought processes I have that aren't true that drag me down.  Things I didn't even know that I thought and therefore believed about or expected of myself and about my perceptions of what God and others think and expect of me.

I've had the opportunity to learn how to identify some of these lately and am amazed at how differently focusing on truths instead help me to live a more joyful, more peaceful, less guilt-filled life.  To be more of who He actually created me to be!

Changing your thinking is like developing a new habit. It takes time and effort. What we think becomes what we actually believe.  But sometimes in the process it's good to go ahead and draw a line in the sand in the face of the enemy.

I am no longer not good enough------I am precious and bought with a price!
I am no longer broken------I am restored!
I am no longer defined by my failures------I am complete in Him!  (And what I see as failure may not be!)

Etc, etc, etc.....

This says it so well:
Hello, My Name Is

Hello, my name is regret
I’m pretty sure we have met
Every single day of your life
I’m the whisper inside
That won’t let you forget
Hello, my name is defeat
I know you recognize me
Just when you think you can win
I’ll drag you right back down again
‘Til you’ve lost all belief
These are the voices, these are the lies
And I have believed them, for the very last time
Hello, my name is child of the one true King
I’ve been saved, I’ve been changed, and I have been set free
“Amazing Grace” is the song I sing
Hello, my name is child of the one true King
I am no longer defined
By all the wreckage behind
The one who makes all things new
Has proven it’s true
Just take a look at my life
What love the Father has lavished upon us
That we should be called His children
I am a child of the one true King
                  ~Matthew West
Click to hear song "Hello, My Name Is"