Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hello, Hello?

(I've been waxing philosophical a lot lately so I hope no one minds!)

It's quite cute here the way people walk along the street yelling into their cell phones. Every few sentences or so they yell, "Hello, hello, hello?" in English. I wondered at this unusual habit until someone explained to me that the phone lines which are now quite good used to be very bad. Because of this people are worried that they're talking to thin air and now needlessly yell, "Hello?" to make sure that the person they're talking to is still on the line.

This can be the attitude that we have towards our Father. We wonder if He's listening and offer up little, anxious pr*yers as if we're reminding Him that we exist. But He's always there patiently listening on the other end of the crystal clear line. I wonder if at times He wishes we would stop trying to make sure that we have His attention and just be quiet so He can say something back.

The other day I read one of my favorite passages:

"When you go through deep waters I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression you will not be burned up." (Is. 43:2-3)

We never need to doubt that He's there or that He's listening!

No comments: