Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Old Lady

There's an elderly couple who live across the main street nearby. They're like a lot of older couples; moving a bit slower than they used to, bent at the shoulders, and clearly devoted to each other. But they live on the sidewalk under a bus stop.

I get the idea that they haven't been homeless for years. They still have a some pride and the look of their clothes isn't absolutely destitute. But somehow now they've ended up on the streets.

I walked past them the other day and the old lady was slowly counting the few coins in her hand. She dropped one and without thinking I bent to pick it up for her. She was instantly frantic and stamped her foot down protectively on the coin. She did let me pick it up after realizing that I wanted to help not steal but her dignity was ruffled and my heart was pricked by her sad situation.

It's not right that an old women would be so destitute that she would need to vigorously protect a coin worth 2 cents US. Or that she should be sleeping on the street day by day vigilant to protect the few bags of possessions she still has.

She makes me wonder if phrases like these apply to her:

"Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your h_____ly Father feeds them. And aren't you far more valuable to him than they are?"
or
"Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed at beautifully as they are.......he will certainly care for you."

But I'm sure that our Father Himself is more heartbroken at the injustices of the world than I am! Until the time comes when things are made right, I want to be His hands and feet to people like her.

No comments: