Tuesday, August 10, 2010

In the lives of women....

These picture so depict things that are important to women here. There's not much of a range in styles of women's clothes but the fabrics themselves are so important. In most shops clothes are grouped by color and fabric. You choose that first and THEN the cut of the garment. Different colors are everywhere and looking down the street at a group of women is like looking at a garden of flowers.

Another thing central to the lives of women is making food. Most of the cooking is done in the morning and the larger meal is eaten at lunchtime. I get asked every day by the women who work with us what I've cooked for lunch. They think it's amazingly boring that my response always has something to do with bread, as in a sandwich. I must be letting my husband starve!
(Photos by Shelley West)

No comments: