Friday, May 17, 2013

The Main Thing

I was asked to speak somewhere last Sunday for Mother's Day.  I thought about what to say, got a few ideas rolling in my head, and finally sat down at my computer to write something down.  So I sat down and procrastinated a bit (as you do!) by checking email, etc, first.  Waiting for me in my inbox was a photo sent by an old friend that I don't ever remember seeing before:

This is me at about 17.  Young, idealistic, full of dreams and hopes for the future!

So I based my Mother's Day message about some of the 'majors' that I would go back and say to her if I could.  Things that would give her a head start on life.  Things that I wished I had grasped earlier--or am still learning!  

I spoke briefly on a number of subjects and felt like I could say more on each. I've decided to start my first ever 'series' of posts and write them down here.  

But first here's something else I rediscovered a while back.  This is a poem I wrote a couple of years before the above photo was taken based around Galatians 2:20  “I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I live now in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave up Himself up for me.” 


I wonder where my life would lead
If I would live not giving head
To all my wants and my desires
I dare not listen to worldly liars
I cannot let my life my life slip by
Just trudging on and wondering why
I must not live it as lie

No, I must die, not physically
A better kind, eternally
A kind where I find life in death
A kind that gives me life and breath
A death where someone else comes in
That Someone wants me free from sin
I’ve found that I am dead with Him

But as He did I too arise
His light and love to fill the skies
And I myself will not grow dim
‘Cause I’m becoming more like Him
Hand and hand we’ll walk the road
And He will take the heavy load
Until I am like Him

I write this here not because it's a great literary masterpiece--it's not!--but because it was the cry of my heart then.  It's still the cry of my heart today.  It's the MAIN THING.  

So next post I'll begin to share some of the other 'majors' that I've learned along the road on the way........

You're invited to walk with me!