Thursday, November 7, 2013

Just Give Me Jesus

They come to my door every few weeks, these smiling ladies full of good intentions. They represent a different belief system but I respect what they're trying to do.  They usually come when it's not actually a good time for me, but I smile and try to be kind because I know what it's like to be rejected for your faith.  They're eternal souls after all so doesn't that make them worth a bit of my time and respect?  We talk a bit and sometimes even agree and I realize that I really do like them as sisters on planet earth.  I take what they give me and glance over it a bit later, not because I'm unsure of what I believe but because I'm always curious about what makes others tick, what puts passion in their hearts.  And if what I know to be true is true, what they're peddling doesn't threaten me at all.

This week they gave me a booklet that answers more earnest questions about their faith.  After they left I flipped to the part about who they believe that Jesus is, because isn't that the crux of the matter?  What defines the religions of the world?  The biggest question of all.

And I felt sad.

I knew this already but to read it in their own words felt harsh.  They know of the Father but don't see the Son as divine.  Not see Jesus as Divine?  Not know Him as the Advocate between Righteousness and mankind?  Not understanding the depth of the sacrifice, and therefore the incomprehensible love------for us?  For them?

I know the Trinity is hard to grasp, God-sized thoughts in man-sized brains usually are, but Jesus is the Door.  My Door.  My Lord, yet my best friend.  My Savior because He understands everything about me first hand.  He knows the depths of my heart, but gave of Himself anyway.........

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.....

.....It was my sin that left Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
                                                     -Stuart Townend

My sin------taken.
My debt-------cancelled.
My goodness------restored.
My hope------ALIVE.

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
                                             -C. S. Lewis

Life in the loving arms of Jesus is my point of reference, my outlook on life.  And I've found it a pretty sweet place to be through all that life has to throw at me.  

"You can have all this world just give me Jesus"
                                         -Jeremy Camp

Life in Jesus gives us hope.  It also gives us peace.

"All who confess that Jesus is the Son of God have God living in them, and they live in God.  We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love.

God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.  And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect.......perfect love expels all fear."  
(John 4:15-18)

Fearless.  Full of hope.  Abounding in love.  That's what recognition of and faith in Jesus brings.

How can we endure life without Him?  And in the immortal words of Switchfoot, "I wanna thrive not just survive."


What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
                          -Robert Lowry