Monday, July 26, 2010

Sacrifice?

It's surprising how fast you can get spoiled! On my recent trip to the States it took me no time at all to get used to air conditioning, hopping in the car to go places, no dirt to speak of, etc. My family being here and the fact that I know this is where I'm meant to be was a huge draw to come back, but things being the opposite of the above? Not so much.

Many people have talked to us about how we're pretty neat to be willing to live like we do. But it's really not true! It's often a struggle, but one that we have Help coping with since He provides the gace to do what He asks of us. It's also made easier by the fact that our neighbors have so very little. How can I complain when they live with so much less?

I don't think Steve struggles with it much but I'm ashamed to say that I don't always make it beyond that and walk in the direct opposite of not complaining---- into an actual attitude of gratitude.

It always seems like when my heart's a bit hard there's something or someone that challenges me out of it enough that I struggle with it and finally sort it out inside. This week it was one of our co-workers who at this point is only here for a half a year or so but wants to be here long term. How's she challenging me?

Next week she's moving in with one of FS's women. She'll be living in one tiny room with this woman and her son. It's not even big enough for her to stand up in. She will have to go to the communal toilet to bathe and do other things, she will be washing her clothes by hand, enduring the heat without a fan, eating what this family eats and probably being sick part of the time from it.

Why? Because she feels called to love others by living among them. Sounds like Someone else whom I admire!

Do I feel called to live like that right now with our kids? No. But the big question is: Am I willing to at some point? Not sure I can answer that right now.

But what I can definitely do is shift my attitude back to being humbly grateful for all that I DO have!

No comments: